Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What I'm Not Watching: The Birthday Boys

Man, I was really excited for this one. The Birthday Boys is a sketch comedy troupe that's been getting critical acclaim in LA, and the show is exec produced by Bob Odenkirk (of Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad fame). And it's now on Fridays on IFC.

I've watched one full episode and all the individual sketches that I can find. And I really really wanted to laugh. But no dice, and I'm still not sure why. The people are funny, the premises are funny, many of the lines are funny - but the execution falls flat. The sketches are drawn out, and a touch too subtle, and just kind of... boring.

Maybe my expectations were overblown. AV Club likes it so maybe its me? I had a fantasy that it would bring me back to 90s era sketch like The State and Mr Show (where Bob Odenkirk made his name - and if you haven't seen either of those series, get thee to Netflix). Making sketch work on cable is notoriously difficult. I hope it picks up and improves as the season goes on. With Portlandia, Key & Peele and Inside Amy Schumer still kicking, there are some good sketch shows to choose from that aren't named SNL.

No comments:

Post a Comment